I've been homesick like crazy. That means a lot of baking. However, end of the month means low on cash and a pantry not set out to make the classics (oh and cash flow? totally my fault). The results are experiments. I don't have detailed notes and only one picture. But here's a reconstruction of my "lab book".
No egg cookies.
~1.5 cups whole wheat flour
~3/4 cup brown sugar
~0.5 stick of cold butter
~1/2 cup water
Some peanut butter
A few chocolate chips
Mix flour, reserve 0.5 cups flour, and sugar. Cut butter into small pieces and pinch into the flour and sugar mixture. When the texture of damp sand, mix in water a dribble at a time until mixture sticks together on it's own (think pie crust), if you over water add some of the reserved flour. Form dough into balls, create a depression in the middle, put a small amount of peanut butter and a couple chocolate chips on top. This made 12 cookies after baking in a 400deg oven for 5-7min.
The problem? They taste like flour, grr.... Best fix, vanilla extract and slightly less water. What I did the next day? More sugar and peanut butter in the batter with some salt. The result? "Brittle" like objects that would probably be best stuck into vanilla ice cream that are slightly salty (should have used more like 1teaspoon not 3, opps). However, I have a picture of theses!

As far as regular food, I made fettuccine. Well I made the locally made one ;) Pasta from scratch is not on my to do soon list though sometime I'll give it a try. This one was made from sweet potatoes. It smells like sweet potato pie when it's cooking! Yummie! I made it with oil, garlic, salt, black pepper, chicken sausage and a Hungarian pepper. Nom, I ate it all weekend. Warms up in the microwave great too. Also no picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment